Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Amends

God has a way of reminding that I'm an alcoholic and how I used to behave. And he does it at the strangest times and places.
This tme it happened at Sky Harbor Airport at around four in the morning.  My wife and I were taking a few needed days off.  She was told if we arrived early enough we'd have a chance to get first class seats.  So we made a point of getting there an hour early. And were lucky enough to get first class seats with hers being across the aisle from mine..
But while I have my suitcase on the scale some older gentlemen tells me he's really in a hurry to get to his plane.  So would I mind letting him weigh his suitcase first.  Even though he was a little pushy about it, I told him to go ahead.
Later, when we board the plane guess who's sitting in the seat next to me.  Yep, you guessed it, the guy who was needed to weigh his luggage right away so he wouldn't be late.  And he's drinking champagne non - stop for the whole trip.
I'm not sure he was sober enough to remember me.  But during the entire trip he kept telling me the same stories over and over. Once in a while he'd doze off.  But when he'd wake up again he'd tell me about the house he was building on the beach in Hilo.  And about the Corvette he was customizing.  And all his many other projects.
Mercifully, he'd drift off once in a while and I'd put my earphones on and doze off myself.
But, eventually we'd wake up and he’d start his narratives over again.  It didn't bother him at all when I'd remind him that he'd just told me that same story about an hour ago. And once in a while he'd pull out his Iphone and show me pictures to back up his story.
At this point I'd like to close this tale by offering amends to all the sober
 people I must have bored to death by telling the same story over and over again.

Click here to email John