Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Entitled

I don't rule the world, thank God. Well, maybe the three square feet I stand on. But no more than that.

But I have a difficult time understanding where people come from when they want help. And I just got off the phone with a guy I was trying to help. That' why I'm writing about this.

And his story was that he had been at TLC and that he'd had a heart attack. And because of that he couldn't do the hard labor we sometimes require. I asked him what kind of work he could do and he wasn't sure.

So I asked if he could answer a telephone. And he said he thought he could do that. So I was about to send a van to pick him up when he starts telling me that TLC is "all about the money."  I guess he didn't know whose number he'd reached.

Now anyone who's from this country and knows about money knows there are very few places where one can live for $110 a week. And that includes three meals. A bed. Utilities. Job assistance, and so forth. Yeah, we're nothing fancy, but we beat living in a dumpster behind Circle K or 7-11.

But anyway, you know that I didn't send a van to pick him up.

If the man had expressed an ounce of gratitude or humility I'd have been there quick. But I know that because of his ingratitude he wouldn't have lasted a minute or two anyway.

Oh, by the way I didn't say what I would do if I ruled the world. And what I would do is
remove the word "entitlement" from the dictionary.  It's a spreading disease and harms many addicts.