Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Example

We can learn powerful lessons from our children and grandchildren.
I have a granddaughter, early teens, who has a birthday the 31st of this month.
But when I call to ask her what she wants she's too bashful to ask for anything. Finally we make a deal:
She'll send me a link to Amazon to make it easy for me to order what she wants.  So she did and it was that easy.  By the way what she wanted was a monkey swing - whatever that is.
What impressed me was that she doesn't have a sense of entitlement even though she knows we'd give her pretty much whatever she wants - within reason. 
Today I see a lot of children (and adults) who're demanding and have a sense of entitlement.
It's refreshing and exemplary to me when I encounter those who are not.