Friday, September 16, 2016

Close Call

When I awoke yesterday and turned on my phone it immediately started alerting me that I had a text message.

And because early morning messages never seem to be good news I opened it with some anxiety.

And sure enough the news wasn't good. My oldest grandson was in the ICU at a local hospital because of a heroin overdose. He's expected to be alright. But it could have been worse.

And my biggest fear is that the next time he won't survive.

Because our communication hasn't been the best the past few years, we seldom talk and rarely see one another. When I spoke to him last we had a discussion about drugs and I told him of my fears. That he might end up in prison or worse.

Of course he didn't receive my comments very well and I hadn't seen him since. Though once in a while I'd hear rumors about him.

Something we're all powerless over is what others do with their lives - whether we're related to them or not. I know that he knows how and where to find help. But because he's a tough guy he thinks he can do it on his own.

I just pray that he makes the right decisions for himself and his family.