Thursday, September 22, 2016

Farm in the City

I live in an urban area close to my office, about a ten minute drive from my home. And I usually take pretty much the same route to work.

This route takes me past a large field that the owner uses as a farm. Or at least I think it's the owner.

One reason I enjoy driving by it is because at different times of the year he grows different crops. Sometimes it's ear corn, sometimes alfalfa, hay, or pumpkins.

After he harvests the corn and pumpkins he puts a small sign by the road and sells them from a stand that near his house at the back of the property.

Sometimes I drive past as he prepares the land with a small tractor. Then after he gets it ready, I might pass while he's fertilizing, planting or diverting water into the small irrigation canals that lace the field. I get to see the whole process, start to finish.

For some reason I get a sense of peace when I pass this small quiet farm. Surrounding it are apartment complexes, a small mall, a large nursing home complex and private homes. Cars whiz by it on both sides all day.

Maybe it takes me back to my childhood, when I was raised on a farm for several years.

I also wonder about the owners. Because of the location, the owner could sell those few acres for millions. He could live on a tropical beach for the rest of his life.

It would sadden me to see a for sale sign on the acreage. Because for sure someone would cover it with an apartment complex or shopping mall.

Though it’s none of my business I hope it's never sold or developed. It's a pleasant respite in the middle of the city.