Sunday, September 4, 2016

Mindfulness

Every Saturday at around noon I offer staff members a mindfulness class in my office. It's big enough to accommodate around seven - which is about how many show up.

But, even if one person shows I'll have the class. Because it's not about the numbers. It's about the benefits for those who atttend.

And for the those of you who aren't aware of the benefits, there are many. Studies show that regular mindfulness sessions are 20% more effective than depression medication. And mindfulness based relapse prevention shows similar results when compared with 12 step programs or one on one therapy. That's a lot of payback for investing a few minutes of our day. Check the internet to find hundreds of evidence based studies about mindfulness meditation.

When I first started the class, I was surprised that one or two members would be snoring within minutes. At first I thought I wasn't doing it right. So after a few sessions like this I consulted a fellow instructor and he said this wasn't unusual. He said that so many people operate under such stress that their bodies take any opportunity for a break. And meditation can be so relaxing that hearing a student snoring is not uncommon.

I write this blog today for those of you who are curious about the benefits of meditation. Even though there is no goal, practitioners report that after a short period, they're calmer, they sleep better, and feel more focused.

And the nice thing is that all it costs is a little time.

Click here to email John