Saturday, October 15, 2016

Back with Family

One of the most important things in life is family.

Yet once we become addicted we often trash our relationship with them. They're at odds with the path we've chosen in life. And this is especially true of my two older children who suffered the most from my addiction.

Much of their childhood I was in some kind of State facility. I didn't communicate with them because they were too small to write. They lived on welfare. They sometimes stayed with their addict mother. And sometimes with other relatives.

Between jail terms I'd see them briefly. But because I was spending my money on drugs I had little to give to their support.

They not only suffered material deprivation. They also didn't have a full time father.

I bring this up because my oldest daughter flew from California to see me this week. We're having a good time visiting and reminiscing. In spite of her upbringing, she never fell off into the drug world. In fact, she’s been a practicing pastor for over 20 years. She’s an example for me.

I write this to encourage those of you who are new to the program. Your relationships can be rebuilt. During my 25 plus years of recovery I've rebuilt most of my relationships with my family. And you can do the same.

Simply keep your focus on recovery. And your family will one day recognize that you're serious. And they'll find out that it's safe to love you again.