Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Acceptance

I read something a while back about the hundred most influential people in history. I think it was in a Life magazine. And there were listed many of the famous people we all recognize – from inventors to politicians and so forth.

But I was surprised to find on the list the name of Bill Wilson, the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Personally, I believe that he was very influential. I guess what surprised me is that the people who made up the list also recognized it. (Maybe there were a few alcoholics on the board that made the selection).

Over the past 25 years I've read the big book several times. In fact, I went through it once a year for 23 years in a group that I used to belong to.

And I guess everyone has their favorite parts. The steps. The stories in the back of the book. The doctor's opinion. We all have our personal likes and dislikes.

And I have mine. My favorite part is on page 417 about acceptance being at the root of all of our problems today. And I revere that passage as containing the wisdom of the ages.

Because when I can accept something I'm no longer fighting with it. No matter whether it's health or wealth or relationships, if I'm in acceptance about how they are and how they're going I really don't have a lot of problems.

Instead, acceptance opens the doors to solutions. Once we accept something then we have an answer. It may not be the answer we want. But it's an answer. Once we have an answer then we are on the path to a solution – if one is even required.