Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Gratitude

I never have to look hard for something to be grateful for.

Yesterday it was an addict having a hard time wrapping his head around the idea that the only way to get sober would be to go to treatment. And this morning, when I stopped to get a cup of coffee at Circle K, it was a homeless guy begging for a few coins to get a drink.

As I got into my car and drove away I recalled the time when that was me. I was the guy who always had some self-created problem. Of course I also had the knack of looking around for someone else to blame. And, with my magical addict mind, it was easy to find a reason to get high and live as an addict.

Today, after 25 years of sobriety, the idea of gratitude crosses my mind at least once a day. I don't look far. I have a good marriage; in fact we've never had a real argument that lasted more than 15 minutes. I have the same job I've had for 24 years. One that keeps my mind active facing the challenges of dealing with 750 addicts every day. I have four children and eight grandchildren. My wife and I leave town on vacation at least 3 to 4 times a year. The list could go on.

But I write about gratitude to encourage those of you who have challenges. No matter how tough your problems are, you can always find someone who has real issues.

The secret to making this technique work for you is not to compare yourself with those who have more than you. Because they're out there. And I assure you that they face as many challenges as you do – regardless of what you think.

Gratitude, though, is like a magic elixir. As soon as you bring yourself into that state it seems like life gets a little better.

If you have a child who is an alcoholic or an addict, you can pray that they get better. And, you can remember the days before they got sucked into their addictions. You can be grateful you had them for as long as you did.

I used to visit a relative who spent 10 years in a nursing home after a serious stroke. When I would visit him he used to tell me that he just wanted to die, that his life was miserable. I never left there without thanking God for good health and the ability to still move around.

Reasons for gratitude are everywhere.