Friday, November 18, 2016

Reminiscing

I was having dinner this evening with a person I hadn't seen in some time. Dinner was great, then we started reminiscing about people I hadn't seen in 30 or more years.

And for some reason that excursion into the past made me realize how blessed I am today. Some of the people I knew 30 years ago are still doing the same things that I was doing when I lived on the West Coast. Some of them are in jail or prison, doing life. Others are in nursing homes, with little expectation of ever coming out alive because they have no one to care for them.

At one time some of them had made fortunes in the drug business, but then had blown it on partying and high living. Eventually they sank into drugging and drinking and succumbed to their bad habits. Or else disappeared to who knows where.

As I reflected I realize how blessed my life is today. But, of course, it would have been pretty much like their lives had I stayed there and continued using drugs and drinking.

Instead I had an opportunity to come to Arizona to get out of the area of California where I was living for so long. After a few years of being here – and continuing to drink and drug – I got tired and went into a detox. And my life has been immeasurably good ever since.

Before I went into detox I somehow had the bizarre idea that my problems in life were just bad luck.

After I got sober for a while I began to realize that my so-called "problems" were all of my own making. And due to my addictions and my inability to deal with them.

The longer I stayed sober the better my life has gotten. I have all the promises that are given to us in the 12 step programs. I have a wonderful wife. I have my estranged family back. I go on vacations a few times a year, sometimes more. I have all the material things that I used to dream about.

And I attribute all that I have accomplished to one thing: learning how to live life without drugs or alcohol.

Click here to email John