Tuesday, November 1, 2016

What's Important?

A former client calls and wants to talk about getting into the program one more time.

But there's a problem. The problem is that I don't think he's done using.

And the reason I think that is because he has a lot of conditions about coming into the program.

One of them is that he still has a car payment to make. Plus, he has a lease on an apartment. He wonders how he's going to take care of all of these things and still go to treatment.

I asked him a few questions about what's the most important thing in his life.

Is it the material things he's accumulated over the past year year or, is it getting free from his addiction?

After all, I explain to him that material things come and go. But we really have only one life.

And we can always get more material things. Once we lose our life or health, that's it.

I remember I once went to a treatment program, moaning about having lost everything.

"Congratulations" the intake person told me. "Now maybe you have a chance to get sober."

At the time the remark pissed me off.  Later I realized that until I had lost everything I wasn't motivated to get sober.

Sometimes it's good for us to start out from the bottom. It's only then that we can appreciate what we have lost.