Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Spirituality?

The subject of a meeting I was at recently was "spiritual awakening." In other words, what does it mean?

One thing I soon learned was that spiritual awaking is pretty much a subjective concept. No two people had the same definition.

I believe that much of what goes on in our lives depends upon spiritual forces beyond our control. But not beyond our influence.

For example, why did I get sober when I did? While my brother and father both died of alcoholism at age 60?  Did spirituality have anything to do with it?

I think that spirituality has much to do with the ego. I think that the more we're wrapped up in our ego, the less spiritual we are.

I don't care what people believe in. But I think that a spiritual person will hand a bum some money. While a non-spiritual person will look at them with contempt or judgement.

My belief is that I become more spiritual when I remain non-judgmental and accepting of others.