Friday, January 13, 2017

Dealing with Anger

Long before getting sober I had problems with anger. When life didn't go my way, anger took over. If I became frustrated, something got broken. Or my day was ruined because all I could focus on was what had gone wrong.

And while I can blame it on the genes I inherited from my alcoholic father, anger never got me anywhere.

Of course, while drinking and doing drugs, anger wasn't an issue. Because like most addicts I didn't deal with feelings. I covered them with a substance of some kind. And then later, when I came to, I'd wonder what I was pissed off over. Then I'd get high again.

But now that I'm 26 years sober on the 14th of this month, what do I do with anger or frustration? Because when we addicts don't have the tools to deal with anger, we can always turn to our best friend. You know, that substance that got us into trouble in the first place.

Today, I rarely get angry. I do, at times get frustrated with myself. In fact I can't remember the last time I became truly angry at anyone or anything.

Sobriety has helped me see the early warning signs. And if frustration is serious enough I'll call my sponsor and see how he'd handle the situation. But today I don't have to take it that far.

I've learned that there's a solution to most anything we're angry about. If it's another person, for example, we can apologize. Or at least ask them why we're having issues.  Usually we can talk our way through it.  If it's a problem at work, there's a solution somewhere.  We just have to be patient enough to find it.

One of my favorite solutions is to do some strenuous exercise. Or go for a quiet walk. Or perhaps meditate. Once sober, we all develop our own favorite tools to defuse our frustration.

I tell myself what's the use of getting angry - I just have to take the time to get happy again.

Click here to email John