Monday, January 30, 2017

Draw a big Picture

If someone would have asked me to draw a picture of my life today when I got sober 26 years ago I'd have been way off.

When I first got sober in 1991 I had no idea of living the life I live today. At that time I was homeless. I was stealing every day to get enough alcohol and drugs in me to make life bearable.

I'm not sure what happened or why I changed. I only know that I had this deep sense that I was doing nothing with my life. And I knew, even though I only had a high school education, that I was capable of doing better. I'd owned small businesses. For several years I was vice-president of marketing for a nationwide corporation. So I knew that I could do something worthwhile with my life.

And I also knew that if I didn't change I'd either be back in prison or die from drugs and alcohol.

So I made a decision to go to a detox and try to change my life. And it worked. But had you asked me at that time what my goals or ambitions were all I would have said was that I wanted to stay sober. To stop the pain.

Instead, life carried me well beyond that. I got into a business helping other addicts change their lives. I started accumulating things. I married a lovely woman who brings me much happiness. Life today is something I'd never have dreamed of 26 years ago.

And I write about this today to tell you that you can do the same and more. Just get clean and sober and go to work.  First, though, draw a big picture.