Thursday, January 26, 2017

Family Matters

My wife was in a home store the other day and overheard a mother and daughter arguing loudly. In fact, they were so loud that my wife couldn't help but overhear what they were arguing about.

"How dare you!" shouted the daughter in the mother's face, "spend my inheritance money on a roof for your house?"

And the argument escalated from there and continued until the pair walked out of the store together. The mother had tears running down her face as they disappeared from sight.

Too often I see grown children who somehow have gotten the idea that their parent's money belongs to them - even before they're cold in the ground.

I'm not quite sure where children get these ideas but I know mine are going to be disappointed when I go if they have the same expectations as this woman's daughter. I have a trust set up that will distribute what remains when I die, what remains when I leave this planet.

Greed is a terrible thing - and unfortunately, it runs in many families - just like it does the rest of our society.

Click here to email John