Sunday, February 5, 2017

Enjoy the Moment

"You don’t stop having fun because you get old, you get old because you stop having fun." Unknown

I think more people die of boredom that of any other cause. In other words we need a reason for living or we're going to slow down.

Years ago, when people first started opening doors for me to let me go ahead of them I'd get irritated. When they started calling me "sir" it would bother me. Anything that would indicate that time was catching up with me could be irritating.

Then one day I changed my perspective. After all, if we're lucky we'll all get old some day. So we might as well learn to live in the moment and learn to enjoy wherever we're at in life.

Several major studies have shown that the happiest years of a person's life are when they're 60 and above. While study results vary, none find that youth is the happiest time of life.

After all, when we reach midlife we've gotten into a lot of acceptance about who we are and where we're going. We begin to see the beauty in the wrinkles on our face. Our careers are on track. We start liking our gray hair. And we're happy to live a life where we know that there are few very big deals.

In other words we learn about acceptance. Which for good reason is the mantra of Alcoholics Anonymous.