Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Our Plans vs. God's Plans

I never understand the changes God puts in our lives.  Probably never will.  What's the point I want to ask him.  Why did that happen?  Why did this happen?

Less than two weeks ago my life seems on a course I thought it would follow forever.

I'm married five years to a woman I care about.  Living in suburbia.  Our staff is taking care of over 800 addicts.

My business partner and I are more or less letting the next generation do all the heavy lifting - a job they're doing well.  We let them shoulder more and more responsibility as time passes.  One day they'll be running the whole thing.

In the past year my wife and I visit Hawaii once.  Mexico three times.  Why not I figure? I've been working at this job for over 26 years.  Play a little.  And so we do.

Life is on a peaceful, blissful track.

Then violence visits.  No one is physically injured.  But we're all traumatized. Some are seeing therapists.  I thought someone was about to die or be seriously maimed.  I knew I was beyond my ability to de-escalate the situation.  It was out of control; rage was in charge and my words have no power.

A lot of people told me they'd of done this.  Or done that.  But until violence and rage suddenly pop up in your face, you never know what you'll do.  There's no planning for insanity and chaos.  It all happens so fast.  Running.  Screaming. Noise. Raw fear. Then the police come and you know that at least everyone's safe for now.

So if your life is on a good track, enjoy it.  Be grateful for your blessings.  Be thankful that you can live among peaceful people who care for and love you.

Savor and be grateful for each day of your happiness and safety.  Love those around you - even the ones who are hard to love.

Click here to email John