Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Success

While visiting a hardwarre store a few days ago to get some keys made I notice one of the clerks staring at me. I rummage through my memory, trying place him. But no names come up.

Finally, he walks over to me and puts his hand out.  "Remember me?"

I didn't.

Then he goes on to tell me that he was at TLC a few years ago.  He's married now and has a one year old child.  He says his life is going great and I believe him.

And that's because his eyes are clear, like someone who's been sober a while. He has the glow, the aura of someone who's living a clean life. He seems happy.

Every once in a while I run into people who graduated our program and are doing well.

And usually I don't recognize them unless they worked around the corporate office and I saw them on a regualar basis. With 800+ residents it's difficult to know more than a few of them.

I mention this today, though, because that's one of the rewards in my life. Seeing graduates out in the community doing well.

If this man continues doing what he's doing he'll raise a child who'll never see him drunk or high.

And that's a feel-good thing for me.

Click here to email John