Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Success

The below email came from a graduate who was with us many years ago. I wanted to pass it on to show how TLC can work for those who are willing.

Hi John, I am speaking tonight at the Glendale house after graduation. I was invited by a gentleman who I have the privilege and honor to sponsor. He asked me to share for 20 or 30 minutes after their graduation.

I will share with these men that I had nothing until TLC gave me an opportunity to recover and rehabilitate at the southern house in Mesa. 

After six months sober I was given an opportunity by one of the managers to build a telecommunication and local computer network with another resident. This was absolutely one of the best gifts that I have ever been blessed with. 

Today I have a beautiful family, young adult kids who can count on their dad today. I returned to finish college, and even graduated with my Masters in Information Technology from ASU last year.

Life is beautiful.  I am sober today by the grace of God and thanks to you and the TLC staff that gave me a second a chance at life.

(I left out his name to protect his anonymity.)