Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

More Gratitude

Here's an email response to the May 2nd blog on gratitude.  I thought it worth sharing.

"Just wanted to respond to your blog from May 2nd real quick. 

It is easy for me to see and to practice gratitude today. I have been clean and sober for a little bit now and due to the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and from taking suggestions from sober people that have something I want, I am able to see everything with a fresh perspective. For many years I thought I was a victim. Today I am able to see that I created my own misery, God didn't do it, nor my mother or loved ones.

There was a time in my life when I would start the day with the game plan that I just needed to get fifty cents from eight people, I could get a pint of cheap vodka to get my day started. That pint of vodka would give me temporary relief from the insanity and self-pity from the mess I had made of my life. This morning I probably have about thirty dollars in my wallet and the next time I go to the bank will be to deposit money, not to make a withdrawal. I feel tremendous gratitude each afternoon when I turn the key in the lock on the door to the apartment I live in. Turning that key is such a simple act, but for me, it brings me joy, relief, and comfort.

Anyway, I am truly grateful today. Not for the material things in life, but rather for the peace of mind that I have today. That peace of mind is something that one cannot put a price tag on. This peace of mind was only available to me only after I had endured enough pain and was willing to surrender and start taking suggestions from others on how to change my life for the better.

Thanks for hearing me out John.. =)


Sincerely, MB"