Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Off to Puerto

Every year, for the past 22 years, I've been vacationing in one of my favorite places in the world:  Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. And I'm leaving again tomorrow for a one-week stay.

Normally I go there about four times a year. But this year, because of other commitments, I was only able to make it down there in January.

So why do I prefer it to places like Hawaii, CancĂșn, or Cabo San Lucas? For one thing, it's less expensive, plus it's only 2 1/2 hours away by air.  The weather's great this time of year. The people there are always pleasant and down to earth. And if one gets bored sitting on the patio looking at the marina there are a multitude of things to do. Boat trips. Horseback riding. Swimming. Sightseeing. Great restaurants. There are accommodations and food for every budget. All in all, I've had nothing but great experiences there.

I've had people ask me if I'm afraid to travel in Mexico. But the reality is, I see much more crime and drugs right here in Maricopa County. And there are places here that I don't go because I have no business there. Just like there are places in Mexico that I don't go because I no longer live in the drug world.  In fact, the people I've talked to about American perceptions of crime in Mexico say that unless one is a drug trafficker, or somehow involved in crime, there's nothing to really fear. So I'm as comfortable there as I am here.

For me, one of the blessings of recovery is that I'm able to do things like this. I have a wonderful team of people around me who work so well together that I sometimes wonder why I even bother to go to the office. And for that, I'm truly grateful.

Click here to email John