Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Rewards

One of the big payoffs for us here at TLC is when our clients stay sober and experience some success.  But most of the time they just move on to the next phase of their life and we lose contact with them. Once in a while, though, we run into them by accident and hear how they're doing.

And that happened to me today when I was walking through a parking lot and was greeted by a couple who were standing by a nice Cadillac Escalade. I spoke to them, even though I wasn't sure who they were.

The man said, "I'm not sure if you remember us but we were in your program for a while." After he told me about their successful efforts to regain custody of their two children while they were with us, then I remembered who they were. He explained that it been a few years since he and his wife had left TLC and that they were doing very well. He was working for a high-tech company in Chandler and she had some kind of business that she had recently started.

There were both well-dressed, looking healthy and clear-eyed. They had all the earmarks of success, which by our definition at TLC means being clean and sober.

Over the past 27 years, one of the big deals in my life is when I accidentally run into someone like this couple. To see someone change their lives and succeed in becoming productive members of the community is a wonderful reward.

There are many jobs in the world where one can make money and have success. But there aren't too many jobs in the world where can make a living while at the same time helping people rebuild their lives.

Click here to email John