Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Balance

"The word ‘happiness’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness." Carl Jung

At one point in life when I was much younger, I thought I always had to feel good, to constantly be happy. And I dedicated years of my life pursuing that idea.

Drugs, alcohol, parties, sex. Those were always my go-to ways to feel good.

In fact, I pursued my goal so intensely that I repeatedly lost everything I had. Jobs. Relationships. Businesses. Friends. Money. Even my freedom.

Only when my pursuit of happiness took everything from me did I get a different perspective on life.

I began to realize that on the other end of life's teetertotter was a measure of pain and sadness. Part of being on planet earth, even clean and sober for years, I experience my share of pain and sadness.

And the good thing is that I don't look for chemical happiness. I know that if I wait long enough the sun will shine again. I can trust that my physical and emotional pain will eventually subside.

I know that happiness and sadness are opposite sides of the same coin.

Click here to email John