Thursday, August 9, 2018

Gift of Recovery

Nearly 28 years ago, right before I got sober, I never dreamed I'd have the life I enjoy today.  In fact back then, in 1990 and 1991, I wasn't sure I was going to survive much longer.

I had a drug and alcohol habit that required all of my waking hours.  I would go out in the morning and steal something to drink.  Once I downed enough alcohol I'd find the courage to steal something I could sell to buy - or trade for - some heroin.  And that was my life right before I got sober: stealing, getting out of my mind, then repeating the cycle over and over.

I think the only reason I got sober was that I had a moment of clarity where I realized that if I kept on the path I was on I'd either be back in prison or suffer a miserable death.  And that's when I went into a detox in Mesa, Arizona with a commitment to change my life.  I had a resolve to get sober and followed through with it.

And I write about this today as I'm sitting on the patio of a condo in Maui, reflecting upon the many blessings I have in my life.

When I got sober I had only one plan:  to stop living in misery as a slave to alcohol and drugs.  Yet my Creator has blessed me with everything I've dreamed of all because I made a decision.

Not only have I been sober nearly 28 years, I also lead a life where I'm able to be of service to other addicts and alcoholics.  I have a circle of great friends, I have financial security, I have peace.

And I attribute all of these wonderful blessings to that long ago decision to make a change.

Click here to email John