Thursday, August 30, 2018

Unimportant

A while back I read that most things in life are very unimportant.  At first, I had a negative reaction to that idea.  But then I thought about it for a minute and I had to agree.

Because many things that people think are important are really meaningless.  A good example of this can be found among those who spend a lot of time on social media.

I've actually seen people get angry and resentful about what someone else says about them on Facebook.  Since I've never had a Facebook page and know little about it I'm kind of uninformed here.  And probably sound like it.

But I've heard people become very angry when someone blocks them on Facebook.  And there's something called a "wall" that I've heard people upset about.

I've been eating with someone who takes a picture of their meal and posts it online - as if it were something important - which it's not.  But unimportant things go beyond social media.

I know those who get very upset if their hair or clothes aren't perfect when they leave the house.  As if the world really cares about how they look.  Or else they'll have a blemish on their face and their day is ruined.  We place way too much importance on what others think of us - something we can't control.

In my opinion, the important things in life are our families, our health, and our friends. Some would maybe add jobs to the list.  And jobs are important, but only as a means of caring for those we love and care for.

In my opinion, the most important thing in life is to lift up those around us and do what we can to make the world a better place.

Click here to email John