Friday, November 9, 2018

Helpful Policewoman

While driving with my companions in downtown Puerto Vallarta yesterday while on vacation, I was waved to the curb by a policewoman.

Since I wasn't speeding I couldn't imagine why she was stopping me. I hadn't cut anyone off.  I wasn't weaving.  The rental car had the proper tags on it.  I didn't have any warrants.

But as soon as I rolled down the window she let me know that I was driving while talking on the phone.  She told me that was illegal in Mexico.

I told her I was unaware of such a law, that I was sorry, and I wouldn't do it anymore.  But she wasn't impressed and asked for my license.

After I gave her the license she pulled out her ticket book and started writing.  As she did so she told me that I'd have to see the judge the next morning.

She said the fine was $147.00 in American money and that once I paid it I could get my license back.

Since I knew I didn't want to spend even one or two hours of my vacation in a courthouse I used the technique I've always used when I have encounters with the police in Mexico.

Whether you know it or not the police in Mexico are very compassionate and understanding, something I discovered many years ago when I got stopped in Tijuana.

So, when she told me I had to appear in court I asked if she could do me a favor.  Because I was on vacation and didn't want to waste time in court would she mind taking the money to the judge for me?

She looked around, a bit uncomfortable, and told me she really couldn't do that, that she might get into trouble.  But when I pulled two 100 dollar bills from my wallet and held them where she could see them she handed her ticket book through the window.  At which point I put the money into it and handed it back.

She said she would take the money to the judge and made me promise to stop talking on the phone while driving.

I told her that I wouldn't and drove on.

Click here to email John