Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Part of Living

Each day for the past week I've been visiting a friend in the hospital who's dealing with a serious illness.

And usually, the waiting lounge near the entrance is filled with visitors. Some look bored or sad.  Others are half asleep as if they've been there for hours.  Some are eating, others are playing games on their phones.  None of them seem pleased to be there - like they'd like to be elsewhere.

And as I pass through I sort of understand where they're at because visiting the hospital is not something I enjoy either.  Unless one is there for the birth of a child, visiting a hospital is not on our list of fun things to do.

Yet, each time I visit I'm glad I took the time, made the effort to provide support.  Even though It's a place we don't want to go, at some point we may all have to go in for repairs - whether large or small.

The reality of being alive is that things wear out. Our bodies change.  Accidents happen.  Illness comes to us and only an institution like a well-equipped hospital can take care of it.

So I somehow put a positive spin on things and realize that I'm fortunate to live in a country where healing the sick and injured is a priority.  And where healthcare is available to everyone whether they have the money or not.

Click here to email John