Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Changes

Many of us hate change.

Now I don't know about so-called "normal people." But we addicts are especially susceptible when it comes to change. We start a new policy at the company, and people freak out. A key employee leaves, and rumors abound.

The sky is falling. The company is collapsing. "Oh my, what are we to do?"

We experienced that this week when an employee who's been with us since 1992 moved from his position as chief operating officer to the position of consultant. He wanted to quit but I asked him to work with us as a consultant for at least a year, the reason being that he has a plethora of knowledge about the company since he has been with us since the first two months we opened. He helped formulate many of the policies that we operate by today. And there are many in the company who relied on his long sobriety and wisdom to help them stay sober. If It wasn't for his hard work and willingness to go to any lengths to help we wouldn't be as successful as we are today. He had a passion for what he did and never went halfway with anything. This consultant position will allow him to pursue other goals he has and get a break from years of working day-to-day with addicts – a job that can grind anybody down after a while.

I'm one of those who don't like this change. Because not only was this man my coworker, I've always considered him my best friend and felt much closer to him than to my own brother. So now there's a void in my work life that I know I'll get used to as time moves on. It's just that when you work with someone for over 26 years it takes some adjustment when you walk by their former office and someone else is sitting at their desk. Now I know I can always pick up the phone and get his opinion or advice on the many challenges that come up in this business every day. Still, it's not the same and it'll take me a while to get used to this change.

Some of the best advice I've ever received is the fact the only thing we can count on in life is that there will be changes.

We grow older. We find new lines on our faces. We get married, then divorced – maybe multiple times - as in my own case. Our businesses make money for a while, then maybe the revenue goes down. We lose loved ones, sometimes suddenly. Babies are born. The economy changes.

If we can absorb the idea that all of life is impermanent, then we're prepared for whatever changes show up.

We're emotionally healthier because we can tell ourselves when doing our self-talk that "I expected that and I accept whatever change the universe brings into my life."