Saturday, July 27, 2019

2700 Blogs

As I sat down to write this blog today, I happened to look over at the post counter and noticed that I now have written 2700 blogs since 2010.

I can actually remember where I was when I wrote the first one. I was on vacation in Mission Bay, California on the third floor of a condominium we'd rented for a weeklong getaway. I don't know why I started there. But I think it was because I had been promising myself for a long time that I would publish a blog and at that moment I had plenty of time to write.

The only promise I made to myself at that time was to keep the subject matter on recovery and things related to recovery. I didn't want to get into politics. I didn't want to write about business. Just mainly about recovery, because that's what this website is about after all.

I did have a secondary motive. And that was to improve my writing skills. I didn't want to improve my vocabulary because I'm fairly pleased with it after all the years I spent locked in cages reading and writing and studying. But I did want to improve the aspect of my writing whereby I could communicate with the reader on a conversational level. After all, it's one thing to have a good vocabulary – but the more important thing is to communicate your ideas and thoughts with the reader.

Over the years I've developed a lot of long-distance relationships with mothers and fathers whose children or family members have been at TLC. Reading this blog has been a way for them to connect with their loved ones even though they're far away.

There are a few families that I actually feel quite close to because every once in a while they update me on the success – or lack of success – of their loved ones who have been through our program. And when I develop these kinds of relationships solely through the written word I feel like I've accomplished my goal of effective communication.

Those of us who have gone through the hell of long-term addiction and years on the streets and in institutions have, I believe, a moral obligation to give back to society. Perhaps help someone else avoid taking the path that we did.

This blog is part of my effort to achieve this.

Click here to email John