Thursday, August 29, 2019

Never Stopping

When I was a youngster back in the 40's and 50's I remember that my parents' goal was to retire at around 60 or 65 and just relax for the rest of their lives.  Maybe just sit on the porch and swat flies, fish, garden or pursue a hobby they enjoyed.

But since those years much has changed. The other day I read a survey where most people plan to work into their seventies and beyond.  Some of them must do it for economic reasons because they didn't save enough to live on.  But others are seeking to do something meaningful with their lives, to make worthwhile contributions to the world, so they plan to stay busy until they die.  Plus, science has discovered that people who stay busy with work they enjoy live years longer than their less active contemporaries.

As for me, my plan is to work at TLC the rest of my life.  I find satisfaction in showing up every day.  Because I'm in my eighties, my kids ask me when I'm going to retire and enjoy life.  And I tell them that I do enjoy life because I have a chance to make a difference in the world helping people get sober and find a new path.

Our mission here at TLC is to help recovering addicts rebuild their lives.  And to be honest, most of those we try to help don't make it.  Those addicted to heroin, meth, alcohol and other drugs have a low success rate.  But their chances of succeeding would be much lower if no one was helping them.

Their is no better feeling than to see a success story walk out of our doors and into a new productive life.  And that's why I'll be here as long as the Universe allows.

Click here to email John