Saturday, January 11, 2020

Insecure Addicts

I've always known that addicts and alcoholics are a pretty insecure bunch

And I was reminded of that few days ago when one of our managers was sort of beating around the bush about what kind of succession plans TLC has for when I retire, get killed, or just succumb to the ravages of old age.  Of course, he was concerned about his future.

And actually, that was a fair question that he posed.  After all, I'm not immortal.  Nor do I intend to spend my remaining years pushing paper around this desk I've been sitting at for 28+ years.

Probably part of his question arose because one of our longest-term key managers had semi-retired earlier this year after more than 25 years with the company, due to health issues.  And part of the question probably stems from the fact that I'll be 81 this coming May.

Now my idea is to never retire as long as I'm able to drag my old ass up the stairs to my office six or seven days a week as I do now.  I'd like to be doing what I'm doing ten years from now.

And in pursuit of not retiring, I do things to maintain my fitness.  I spend 45 minutes to an hour a day - either at the gym I have at my house - or the one I'm a member of that's a few blocks away.  I've been a vegan for over 20  years.  And I neither smoke nor drink.  I meditate at least an hour a day, sometimes longer.  I keep my stress down by not making big deals out of things.

Aside from that, TLC has a board of directors who'll be able to keep things functioning once I'm out of the picture.   The board has some six members, a couple of them that manage trusts that rent properties to TLC, and others who have been staff members at TLC for a number of years.  All have an interest in perpetuating the help that TLC has given addicts for over 28 years.

Other than the vagaries of life that can always affect the best thought out plans, there's no reason TLC shouldn't be around for another 50 years.  God willing..

Click here to email John