Friday, February 21, 2020

Great Team

I remember when I first went on vacation back in 1994, the first I'd had since I opened TLC in 1992. And I was so paranoid when I went away from the program for a week that I stopped at every phone booth and punched in my pager number so that someone would call and let me know that everything was okay.

Finally, the staff got tired of me calling and told me they were no longer going to answer my pages. That I should just enjoy my vacation and quit bothering them. And with a certain level of anxiety, I did exactly as they said and didn't call during the rest of the vacation. Because in their own blunt way, they let me know that I could have confidence in their ability to run the program while I was away. And when I get back everything was fine.

And now when I go on vacation I seldom call unless I need a specific bit of information. And that's because we have a staff that is well-trained and reliable who take care of the business while I'm out of town.

Today when I opened my office door, everything was exactly as I when left. I looked at reports. I walked through the offices. I asked questions. Everything was functioning just as it was supposed to.

I sometimes am amazed at what addicts can do when they all get on the same page. I have a strong belief that our society could model many recovery programs after our program. Programs where addicts work together to help each other change their lives – and at no expense to taxpayers. In fact, what we do provides great savings to taxpayers because we help keep people out of jail, out of prison, out of mental hospitals without funding from any agencies.

I'm not sure the government will ever allow addicts to help each other without exerting a lot of control over how they operate. For some reason, they seem to think they know the answers to all social problems. 

And my belief is that because of government intervention we have the massive drug problems we are dealing with today.

Click here to email John