Friday, April 24, 2020

Sick Puppy

Although I've been on the planet more than 80 years, one thing that I never get used to it is feeling ill. I'm a person who just doesn't suffer very well and when I don't feel well I'll curl up in a corner of the sofa or bed and wait for things to pass.. And that's the situation that I'm in since last night. And on top of not feeling well – kind of flu – like symptoms – I also have a case of the hiccups. I don't know where the hell they came from; but they make it difficult to sleep and relax.

 I was up all night and then felt a little better this morning. When I'm feeling like I do now I just try to stay away from others, so I don't spread my misery – or possibly my ailment – onto them. I also reflect on how healthy I've been much of my life in spite of drinking alcohol for 42 years and shooting heroin for 38 years. In fact, I tell myself that I'm lucky to be alive.

One of the things that really comes to the forefront is how much people care about me and my health. I receive nice get well messages from staff members that I don't ordinarily have a lot of communication with. One of my daughters made me some lentil soup to take home.

But probably the thing that helps me the most, is that I reflect upon how many clients we've had who have suffered from terminal illnesses and didn't feel sorry for themselves at all. We had a guy who was only 38 years old when he died last week from leukemia, He was the nicest guy in the program. Yet he died in his sleep within a week of graduating and returning home,