Friday, May 29, 2020

Benefits of Sobriety

At one time, deep in the muck of my addiction I doubted that I'd live to be 40.

And, now, this coming Sunday, God willing, I'll have been on the planet 81 years.  It was something I never expected to happen.  And I owe it all to the fact that I decided at age 51 that I was either going to get sober, die, or go back to prison.

I chose sobriety.

And it was one of the best decisions of my life. Today I enjoy all the promises of the 12-step programs.  I have many friends. A nice home I've owned for 21 years. I'm on mostly good terms with family members and am blessed that their lives took a different path than mine.  No drugs today, not in prison, working and being examples for their own children.

The only message I have for you is that staying sober has it rewards - but they don't come overnight. 

All I have is gratitude for what life has brought me, freedom from the tyranny of heroin and alcohol. 

Give yourself time and you'll enjoy the same blessings.

Click here to email John