Monday, May 4, 2020

Changing Perspective

It seems that since this pandemic has struck, time has slowed down.  There's less pressure to hurry and get things done.  Yet once the work is done it seems I can turn my attention to things I've been putting off.

My routine used to consist of awakening around six in the morning, meditating for half an hour, working out, then getting ready to leave for the office.  Which meant I'd arrive there around eight or nine a.m.

And depending on which day of the week it was it would be noon before I knew it.

And that's because when I went to the office a lot of my time would be spent in dealing with manager or client issues.  Sometimes I wouldn't get done with my accounting,  mail, and other paperwork until noon.

But now that I'm not dealing with people issues it seems like I get most of the mechanical stuff out of the way within 90 minutes or less.  I guess it's mostly about focus.

I do spend more time on the phone, because that's now how most of our business is done from home.  When we run client groups and individual therapy we use Zoom, a program that allows us  to communicate face-to-face via the computer screen.  It works well.

When things like this pandemic occur it seems to makes us more creative and adaptable. I know that some 12-step meetings gather outdoors to observe social distancing and still have a meeting.  And most professionals, including my doctor, bankers and insurance people all work from home via Zoom or telephone.

The world does move on, but as a person who doesn't like change I kind of long for the pre-pandemic days...

Click here to email John