Friday, May 1, 2020

Self-Quarantine

Very rarely do I get a cold. Nor do I get the flu. I've just never been susceptible to colds. And each year I get a flu shot and most of the time it works.

But last Friday I started getting a temperature. Nothing great, just up to around 102. And I started feeling like crap, like maybe I had the flu and cold and allergies all mixed together. So immediately, my addict mind started thinking, "oh no," Covid 19.

I called my Doctor's office and spoke to him for a moment and he assured me that I did not have the virus. He didn't rule out the flu. Or cold. Or allergies. He told me to get some rest and call him during the week if I got worse. And even though I didn't have the Covid 19 virus he suggested that I self quarantine for two weeks.

At first I resisted the idea. But since I have a small office at my house that's the same as the one at TLC's corporate office, it's really no problem for me to work from home. Once I got over my sore throat and flu-like symptoms after a few days it wasn't bad at all.

Other than being a little lonely, it is in some ways a lot better. I could focus on projects without interruption, other than a few phone calls. I felt a lot more efficient because I like to work straight through without interruptions.

Actually, I view this as a test run for the day I decide to move to the beach in Mexico or San Diego for part of the year and work from a remote office there. So far, I haven't found any obstacles to that idea during this first week at home. Next week I may discover some obstacles, but I'll deal with those when I get to them.

I know that this pandemic has turned the world upside down, but then we were never promised that our lives would be perfect. Dealing with challenges and staying sober is our assignment. This is the time to do it.

Click here to email John