Sunday, November 3, 2013

Managing with Gratitude

I must remember that gratitude is a most important indicator of who will succeed as a manager at TLC – or who will thrive in their recovery.

I was reminded of this today while talking to two of our women managers. One of their dominant characteristics is that they walk in gratitude each day. Not necessarily gratitude to me or to TLC, but gratitude for their lives. Gratitude for their recovery. They exude happiness and joy. And they're wonderfully successful at their jobs and in their relationships with clients. They always leave those around them in a good mood - including me.

Today, when I try to fill a management job, the first thing I want to pay attention to? Level of gratitude. I don't care if they're a rocket scientist. I don't care if they have a college education. Gratitude is what I'm looking for.

While it's nice if applicants have an education and brilliance, they're not much help if they don't also have gratitude as a foundation.

Over the past year we've lost three key managers, all either educated, experienced - or both. But each also sometimes exhibited a quality which I see as the opposite of gratitude: arrogance. Each had an out-sized ego and only paid lip service to gratitude when they knew it was expected. And they eventually fired themselves by failing drug tests.

So why were they hired? It's my fault because I was under pressure to fill the position. But I violated my own belief about looking at gratitude.

I did them - and TLC - a disservice.