Sunday, December 1, 2013

Keep Growing

When counseling clients I think they believe – because I have certificates on my wall – that I can help. They hope I have answers they can use. And I may, depending on the circumstances.

But the best answer I give them is that there’s never a place in life when we arrive at a plateau where we’re totally healthy human beings needing no further work.

And when I say that they sometimes seem puzzled.

While I don't pretend to know what they're thinking, they seem to wonder why someone in his mid-70s doesn't have it together.

But I don't believe life works like that. I believe life’s a journey. Not a destination. I think we can always do things to improve ourselves. And part of living successfully - in my mind -  is to continually improve.

For example, I'm still learning to remain calm in the face of anger and frustration. I'm still learning to react in a way that's healthy.

I work to improve my fitness and I’m always looking for different workout routines to help me.

Even though I'm fluent in Spanish - and can read and write it - I'm still learning more.

I write this blog each day in an effort to keep my brain functional - and to learn to communicate more effectively.

I took a 60 hour course in hypnosis this year to improve my counseling skills.

I read the newspaper every day to keep up with current events. I read at least two books a month.

The point is, God blessed us with a wonderful, creative mind and the opportunity to grow. We should do that to the best of our ability.