Thursday, November 15, 2018

Patience

The last blog I wrote was while I was in Mexico.  And in that blog, I said that I'd be home the next day.  But, that's not what happened.

Instead, once we boarded and started taxiing down the runway something went wrong with one of the engines and the pilot aborted the take-off and the plane was sent to a far corner of the airport and parked.  The pilot announced that something was wrong with one of the valves in the engine and that we'd have to have to sit for a while to see if it could be repaired.

After an hour or so, there came another announcement.  The engine couldn't be repaired right away and we all - some 200 of us - would be bussed back to the terminal and put on other flights.  Well, that seemed to be a minor inconvenience, except that when we got to the terminal all the flights were taken and we'd have to wait until the following day, which was yesterday.

On the upside, though, we would be housed - at no cost - at a resort hotel and all our meals and drinks would be paid for by the airline.  Well, there were mixed feelings about that arrangement.  Of course, the drinkers were really happy about having all they could drink at no cost. But some of the people seemed kind of upset because they had jobs and other obligations back in the States.

Part of me wanted to be upset.  But another part of me said this was a time to practice meditation and acceptance.  Because there's always something that goes wrong and if I make a big deal out it all that happens is that life gets more stressful.

Besides, all of the work I was wanting to get done was still waiting for me and I was able to get a good portion of it completed by the deadline. Somehow things always seem to work out - just not always the way I want them to.

Click here to email John