Wednesday, April 3, 2019

We get Email

I get emails regularly, many of them flattering.  Then sometimes I get things like this.

"I want to tell you about my experience with your place. 

I'll just start by saying that I was not happy being there. I am a homeless person who was apparently bribed into going there by a family member. 

I felt out of place with all the people who were there because of their drug and/or alcohol abuse. Now I didn't have any problems getting along with the other clients, but I just felt really uneasy. 

And to be told that I had to pay rent was a crock of B.S. I am an unemployed person who only does seasonal or part-time work. And I felt very strange being there with these meetings with all the other addicts and abusers. 

Anyway, I will never come back to your place ever again, nor will I recommend anyone to your place."

Obviously, he was in the wrong place because TLC is about working and being responsible for oneself.  

Of course, he was incorrect about the paying rent part.  Because we charge addicts a service fee for the services we render - and housing is only a portion of what we offer.

Until this person suffers enough pain from his homelessness and substance abuse he won't be motivated to change.  We have many clients who start out with the same attitude he has.  But ultimately they do recognize they have a living problem and start using our program to rebuild their lives.

We'll have a bed for him when he's ready to come back and change.