Saturday, November 7, 2020

Consequences

I have heard it said that elections have consequences.

But whatever consequences they have, I'm truly happy that the election is over. Or at least it should be over, according to the law and other precedents.

Used to be a saying in my family that two things people should not talk about: religion and, of course politics. And unless I'm pretty positive about someone's political or religious leanings, I very rarely talk about either. I just keep my opinion to myself – except for a periodic lapse of commitment – like maybe a few lines in this blog.

One thing that I am certain of is that the election was not about who was the best man for the job. It was more about being against the incumbent and voting for somebody – anybody – else who was willing to take on such a grueling job. Because I'm a person who likes to see results from the people who lead our country and state. And like his personality or not, Trump was a businessman who got things done and really didn't care a whole lot about what people thought about the way he did it.

The one thing that I agree with most people about is that he was not a politician; he was a businessman. And as a businessman he didn't have the luxury of sitting around on his butt and taking forever to make a decision. I think that was why a lot of people didn't like him, his policies, or the way he operated. Because he operated this country like a business. He set a goal and carried it out. During his term we had the best economy that we've had in the last 50 years. The lowest unemployment rate. We became independent of the Mideast for our oil. Minorities had the lowest unemployment rate in history. He showed that we could operate the government without all of the bureaucrats whose positions were not filled once he became the president.

Yet in spite of all of this, you would never hear anything of substance if you ask people why they didn't like him. If you asked that question, people would just say something bright like "I don't know, I just don't like the way he does things." Or something equally stupid.

The people who responded this way knew very little about his policies, politics, or anything about government. I think they got their idea of how a president should operate from CNN, ABC and other liberal outlets.  

And then another factor was the fact that at least 75% of the press is liberal, and the liberals were trying to get him out of office almost from the moment he was declared the winner in 2016. Within weeks they started out with fantasy stories about Russians and his employment by them as a Russian agent. And it never stopped from that point on. We were constantly swamped and inundated with news about how terrible Trump was and the awful things he did.

But like I said in the first sentence of this blog; elections have consequences. And we're going to see some of those consequences within about 60 to 90 days.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment