Sunday, October 29, 2023

One car at a Time

A friend who's moved to another state tells me during a phone call about his anger with the drivers in the metro area where he now lives.

"These people here don't know how to drive," he tells me, anger and frustration in his voice,  Since he spends a lot of time on freeways I'm sure he's not too happy during his commutes.

So I share with him something my sponsor said a long time ago.  I'd arrived a few minutes late to a meeting and when it was my turn to share I expressed my anger at the traffic that had made me late.  My sponsor could see I was upset and when it was his turn to share he said something that I know was directed at me. 

"I learned a long time ago that I could only drive one car at a time," he said.  And with that simple statement he influenced my driving behavior from then on.  While he passed on around 20 years ago I no longer drive any cars on the highway other than my own.  Oh yes, once in a while someone's driving behavior will scare me and I'll react for a second.  But, as a rule, I drive my own vehicle as safely as I can and don't cuss at other drivers or flip them off like I once did.  And my life is much more peaceful with just that one small piece of wisdom from my sponsor.

I shared this information with my friend but I doubt if it'll  work.  Because when he used  to live in Arizona he used to say that the driver's here also didn't know how to drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment