Monday, April 4, 2011

We ask those who've been in our program a while to give back to the newcomers. In fact, we have a semi-formal structure to see that longer-term residents "volunteer" to help.

For example, to maintain the highest level in our program, Level Two, clients must sign up for a project or chore in the house. But often getting them to sign up is difficult. It seems to be characteristic of those who've been sober for 90 days or longer to stop giving back. It's as if they think "I've got mine, and that's all I'm interested in."

Last week the women's program manager called to say she was having difficulty getting the women to sign up during the weekly level meeting. Because I happened to be in the area, I dropped in to discuss the issue with the clients. I explained matter-of-factly that I was okay if they didn't want to be Level Twos. They could go back to being Level Ones. And the Level Ones could go back to Entry Level. I told them it made no difference to me. After all, to maintain level status requires some "volunteer" work at the house. It's just part of the program.

I reminded them of the help they'd received when they came to TLC. And that those who helped them didn't get paid. However, they received the reward of staying sober - while lifting up another human being.

A principle of the 12-step programs is we keep what we have by passing it on. If we make that concept part of our daily life, then God helps us in our sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment