Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ceased Fighting

In the 12-step literature we find the phrase "we ceased fighting anyone or anything..."

I took it at face value. I believe it means I should stop fighting everything.

To get clean and sober I stopped fighting and said I was powerless. Over and again I learned how powerless I am. Once my habit got rolling it didn't stop until I was unable to find something to drink or put in my arm. Usually that time came when I was behind bars.

So I interpret the word "anyone" in that phrase to include me. Because when I stopped fighting with myself, and surrendered, everything became better. And even today when I get into trouble it's because I haven't accepted that life is perfect just as it is. That God gets along fine without me as a co-pilot.

As soon as I let myself sink into acceptance about whatever’s going on, then life becomes okay again.

The fighting is over...

Click here to leave a comment