Monday, April 7, 2014

Defeating Anxiety

In a therapy session a client wanted to work on her anxiety.  As we started, I asked how she defined anxiety.  While she had an idea because she was apprehensive and nervous, it wasn't as clear to her as it might have been.

So I shared an analogy given me by a therapist.

He said that when we're in anxiety it's like rehearsing for a play.  We're imagining these terrible things that might occur at some distant time.  We are rehearsing in our heads for this drama that will never open on Broadway.  Or, for that matter, any other theaters.  And I liked his analogy so much that I pass it on others because it's so clear.

When we spend our precious moments thinking of terrible events that may never come to pass we're wasting our time.

And while the same analogy doesn't apply, we're also wasting our time excavating into our past.  We addicts have done things we're ashamed of.  But sifting through them as if they have some value for us today is a waste.

The secret to combating both of these anxiety and depression producing habits is to live in the moment.  If I find myself in one of these states of mind I take a deep breath and remember that my power lies in being present right now.  

There's nothing I can do at the moment about my unfounded fears of what might happen.  Nor can I do anything about the wreckage I left behind, other than make amends.

For peace of mind – and for my recovery – I live as much as possible in this moment.