Monday, December 8, 2014

Being There

What do you do, how do you react, when a friend shares bad news about their health?

Back in the day, back before recovery, I used to give some cliché response. I'd say something like "Oh, you're going to be okay. Or, "Those doctors don't know what they're talking about. You're as healthy as a horse."

But today, because my friend is also in recovery, he'd know that what I'm telling him is bullshit. He'd know I was giving him platitudes. Though he might forgive me because serious health issues are uncomfortable to talk about, I can't treat him that way.

So instead I listen to him as he discusses his frustrations with the doctors. He tells of the pain he experienced during diagnostic procedures. He's pissed because at this point they can't give him clear-cut answers to his questions. Then next week it's on to more procedures and maybe no definitive answers again. Perhaps that's why they call it exploratory.

He goes on for a while. Then he winds down. He's shared with me everything he wants to say.

We hug and as he leaves I realize I didn't have any wisdom for him. But sometimes just being there is all anyone needs.