Thursday, February 2, 2017

Freedom of Speech

Even though we're known for freedom of speech in the U.S., one couldn't tell.

Last night a violent protest broke out at Berkeley, California because the liberals didn't agree with the speaker's viewpoint about "sanctuary cities.

Someone set fires. Others threw rocks. Someone destroyed vehicles.

To me, freedom of speech means just that: we should be able to express ourselves in all areas of our lives without fear of reprisal. And while it's a wonderful ideal, it really doesn't work that way in our country.

A good example is the drug issue. In respect to drugs I'm more of a Libertarian. I think people should be able to use whatever they want. I also believe they should pay the price in terms of damage to their health. But as long as they don't harm others they should smoke, drink, and ingest whatever they choose. Life will eventually teach them what is good or bad for them.

Even though I work in the drug field I still believe that people are going to make their own choices - good or bad.

But for most of my life I've seen a loud "moral" majority do whatever they can to punish addicts - as if that will change their views. What it really does is punish an addict's family and cost society a lot of money to house and feed these "criminals."

I believe that drugs, legal and illegal, are harmful to our bodies and minds. But while addicts do immoral things while under the influence, that doesn't mean they are worthless people.

As long as people think that their way is the only way we'll live in a society where conflict is the norm - no matter what the issue.