Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Alcohol Test

On page 31 in the Big Book it says - if we doubt we're alcoholic- to go to the bar and try some controlled drinking. You know, drink for a while, then suddenly stop. See how that works for us.

If we can walk away from a drink - or half a drink - with no problems or repercussion or headaches then quite likely we're just a social drinker.

Nothing to worry about. Nothing to see here.

But if the idea of a drink has you salivating and drooling then you might reconsider if you really have a problem or not.

I know that I was an alcoholic and addict long before I'd could or would admit it. No matter what I tried - be it drugs or alcohol - there was never enough for me.

One of my problems was that I had an incredible tolerance. I only overdosed once in my life. And that was after shooting some heroin - after drinking a fifth of White Port. But did that slow me down? Not a bit. The next day I was right back at it even though I might have nearly died.

It took other things for me to finally quit using substances. And the big one was that I was simply tired of being a miserable bum.

One day I told myself that I'd had enough of living like an animal, going rapidly downhill.

I checked into a detox and my life has never been the same since - and that was over 26 years ago.

Click here to email John