Thursday, June 15, 2017

Double Blessing

The 24th of May I wrote about how blessed I was seeing my 18 year granddaughter graduate high school in Arizona.

Well, today it was a double blessing:  this afternoon I watched my grandson graduate high school in Orange County, California in the afternoon.  And that was after spending a few hours in the morning watching my granddaughter being promoted from the eighth grade to high school.

The great thing, is that none of these youngsters have ever seen me drunk or under the influence; they were born after I was in recovery for several years.

While they've heard stories of my hedonistic past, the only thing they've witnessed is a loving grandfather who takes them on vacations a couple times a year.  A person who is a respectable businessman who's an example of clean and healthy living.  Someone who can contribute to their future success.

When I first got sober all I wanted was to stop the pain and misery in my life.  I wanted to quit going to jail.  To quit giving everything I owned to the dope man.  To quit disappointing my family and friends.

But I got so much more that, more than I ever imagined.

And I tell you this because if you're new to recovery you have no idea what the future holds.  I often marvel at the wonderful life I have today because I got sober over 26 years ago.

It can happen for you.

Click here to email John