Friday, June 23, 2017

Home Again

Tomorrow we leave Imperial Beach, California, to return home to Arizona.

While I'm not looking forward to the hundred and 110+ degree heat, I am ready to get back to the real world and my familiar surroundings. After living in Arizona for over 30 years, I'm used to the heat and have learned how to live in the desert.

Each year our family makes this pilgrimage to a group of condos 10 miles from the Mexican border. This year there were 22 of us. And we had a great time shopping, eating, working out, visiting, and playing on the beach. When we first started in the 90s, we rented one condo. But this year we needed five units to accommodate all the family and friends who joined us.

A lot of people tell me how lucky I am to be able to do this. And they are right. I really am lucky.

But the luck stems from the fact that over 26 years ago I decided I was tired of living like a bum and went into a detox to get sober.

My whole point of mentioning any of this is to encourage those of you who are new in recovery that once you get sober you can do pretty much whatever you want with your life. If you want to reestablish a relationship with your family – as I have done – you can do so.

If you want to go to school and get a degree you can do that. If you want to build a business and that's your mission in life, you can do that. Nothing is without the realm of possibility once we get sober.

The foundation of everything for all of us addicts and alcoholics is based on a solid program of recovery. And as we grow in our program, the fruits of our efforts continue to show up.

Click here to email John